Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Better Point of View

As a good friend and I say, “I am not a pessimist, I am a realist.” I have to say that 50% of that statement is correct. I am one of those people who can’t really be put in a box. If someone is overly optimistic I will point out the “realist” side but if someone is being a pessimist or “realist” I will counter balance with the positive. I like there to be a yin to the yang and vise versa. Although I hate it when people play the Devil’s Advocate I have to say that I like to add in a differing point of view.

Where is this all coming from? Well I have been spending a lot of time with a bunch of different friends and family lately (my introvert side is really glad I took the night off) and I have just been weighing people’s opinions and statements and retaining their responses and input. Politically, spiritually, and emotionally I like and need to hear different points of views to challenge my own and to make me stronger and more educated in what I believe in. I love these challenging conversations and wouldn’t trade them for the world, but when it comes to your day to day and your personality I find that it is really hard for me to be around negative people for a long period of time. I know you reading this are saying, “duh!” but I like to think that I have pretty high tolerance. I feel that I am at a pivotal crossroads in my life and I need people around me to encourage me and challenge me to move on the right direction for me and to help me be more secure in the person I have become and continuing to change into.

I am not saying that I want someone to always say I am doing the right thing and that my decisions and actions are perfect. I still need those friends who call you out when you have made a poor decision and to walk with me through correcting them. But what I do need is a person who has the spiritual compass and intellectual and emotional capacity to walk beside me and to offer those words of encouragement that are needed. I guess I am saying that perhaps it is time to expand my horizon and my safety zone and to step outside and meet new and promising people so that I too can become a better person to walk beside on this path we call life.






"Show me who your friends are and I will show you who you are." - My grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment