Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Vegetarianism... sort of


So in case I have not said earlier I am a fan of the show The Biggest Loser. One of the trainers on there, Jillian Michaels, also has a radio show on KFI in which I have recently been downloading and listening to the podcasts of the show. In a few shows she has mentioned how she has pretty much turned into a vegetarian with the exception of fish an eggs. She quotes facts about how chickens and cows are being feed genetically engineered corn and about the abuse of animals we consume. Also, adding to these swarms of thoughts in my head was my sister’s friend’s husband (Ferris Bueller anyone?). He has chosen to not eat meat unless the animal “chose to die” or was specifically killed by that person for sustenance. He had other great arguments/beliefs that challenged my way of thinking or perceiving food. So after hearing his point of view on meat and after listening to Jillian Michael’s argument and doing a little bit of research on my own I have been giving some serious thought to making the change in my own diet. I used to hate fish but made my self eat it for its’ nutritional value and have actually now found some that I enjoy. I rarely eat red meat as it is and have had pork less than 5 times in my life. I really would be giving up chicken (apparently one of the most tainted foods out there) and the occasional bbq lamb that I would make with my dad twice a year. I love vegetables as it is and fruit really is God’s natural desert for us. So for me the change would not be completely drastic but the mindset would be the hurdle. Ignorance is bliss, but knowing is caring. I am curious to hear your thoughts on the matter. After knowing about the harmful affects of the foods in your diet or the inhuman ways our meat is being treated, would you make the change or is food just food?

1 comment:

  1. I would like to say I feel sorry for the animals, but I love red meat too much and I think even after seeing footage, for a while I'm scarred and saddened, the addiction to meat is just too much. I would prefer to choose meats that are humanly prepared, and living with a red meat eater, I know he could never live on a fish and egg only meat. I watched him do it during my pregnancy and he really did suffer, he's happier when he eats red meat. So I think I would only give up chicken and red meat b/c of costs and not health...and that should disturb me.

    ReplyDelete