Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Paris Day 25

Pictures from the Parisian Catacombs. One of my favorite things I saw in Paris. Paris had overcrowded cemeteries and so in the late 18th century and early 19th century the bodies were dug up and taken to the catacombs at night to finally have their resting place. You are under the busy streets of Paris in the old limestone mines with tunnels going every which way that now house over 6 million people's bones stacked ornately in 6-foot tall rows. €8 for adults and €6 if you are 26 or under. I would definitely say to check it out.













This lovely jewel was found the in garden in front of the Hôtel de Ville in which I like to entitle "The Gardening Garden" as it paid homage to gardening in that it had structural artwork made of moss and stepping stones. A wall was covered with clay pots that jetted out. It was pretty cool to walk around and look at. Of course my favorite part was the little vegetable garden they had off to the side which was growing several types of lettuce, tomatoes, cauliflower, Swiss shard, mint, parsley, etc. etc.




This is off of the Pont Neuf is a tribute to Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, who was burned at the stake.



Bottom of a light post on the Pont Neuf. Amazing how you can walk by art everyday and not even notice it sometimes.

Getting off of the metro and walking back to the apartment I always pass these olive trees in planter boxes that also happen to contain tomatoes, herbs, and squash growing in them as well. I wish I saw this walking down my street. Man I can't wait to have a vegetable garden!



No comments:

Post a Comment