Friday, July 17, 2009

Someone is moving...

Me silly. Why?


I have lived in Southern California my whole life and really feel that I need to live somewhere else to 1) find a new place that I love and want to live or 2) find out that I really did like living Southern California and can now appreciate it. I could move up there and hate it, but at least I would know that instead of just wondering “What if?” (I don’t think I will hate it up there, FYI). The point is I am taking a risk and willing to see either way.

I am an accountant (gasp!). Yes, I hear all the time, “But you are so friendly” “you are so fun to be around” “you don’t look like an accountant” but folks, it is true. I am a nerdy numbers girl. I got into accounting because I wanted to make a decent living and also because I wanted to work for a professional football team. Yes, you heard me correctly. I even called and talked with a team a year ago and about 4 months ago. Although they are not hiring in the position I want I did get some ideas as to what steps I still need to take in order to make me the best person for the job. At my current job I was not getting the experience I needed and so I had to make the difficult decision to leave a secure job and take a leap of faith. Part of me moving up to Northern California is to have the time I need to study and pass the CPA (something I haven’t even started studying for). Also, it is recommended that I know non-profit accounting, which I have never dealt with so I am going to take a class and try to volunteer to get some experience and knowledge under my belt.

I have great friends up there that are encouraging and will be a positive influence on the future me. I feel that I have a lot of growing and changing to do and want to have good people around me helping to guide me in the right direction. I am moving in with a good friend who has been a shoulder to lean on and a sidekick on my crazy adventures.

I am also taking time to enjoy life. Going to Paris really taught me a hard lesson. I always wanted a job that afforded me time to go to spinning classes after work, be able to go to a book club on Wednesday evenings, take a fun class at the local junior college. Well with my job that was not possible due to the amount of hours and out of town clients I had. So along with my studying I am going to be taking a gardening class and starting my very first vegetable garden. I have been reading tons of blogs and reading lots of books about it am so excited to start. If you are interested some of my favorite gardening blogs are Skippy's Vegetable Garden, Adventures in my Urban Garden, The Cheap Vegetable Gardener, and Gardening Without Skills.

So needless to say I am so excited for this new change in my life. As soon as I made the decision I had such peace about it and felt like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders. As for my family, they will be a quick plane ride away or a road trip south. They have been amazingly supportive and are so excited to see me making these great decisions in my life. As I have always said, “You will know when you know” and I can say I do.

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of at a similar juncture, only it's been forced upon me by unemployment. I am looking at it as an opportunity to finally do things I've long wanted to do and to do work that is gratifying to my soul and not my wallet. Looking forward to reading how your leap of faith works for you.

    ReplyDelete