Saturday, August 8, 2009

First Day In Santa Rosa

This was the email I sent to friends and family and got back such an overwhelming response to it that I decided to post it here. Enjoy!

I made it up to Northern California Monday night after checking out of Dana Point for the last time. Tuesday morning, with the help of a few people, I unloaded the moving van which was much easier than loading it up. As my dad and his girlfriend were up here with me instead of unpacking right away I decided to spend the day with them and get to know my new home. We went to breakfast at the Omelet Express in downtown Santa Rosa. The name speaks for itself and needless to say I had leftovers the next morning and it was still delicious. Then off to the Windsor Golf Course for a quick 9 holes of golf with my new roommate Becky, my dad, and his girlfriend. This was the first time I have actually played and let me just say that if this CPA thing doesn’t work out I might just become a professional golfer. The course was gorgeous and I am planning on going a lot more often. After golf we headed on down to the Korbel winery where we took the tour, sampled, and then sat under the redwoods across from the vineyard and had tapas. I am sorry, but my words fail when it comes to describing the peace and slender Korbel had to offer. If you are ever up here I highly suggest visiting. Being later in the day and realizing we had skipped lunch we headed over to the nearby town Healdsburg to the Healdsburg Bar & Grill. There was a little bit of a wait, most likely corresponding with the park right across from the restaurant having a music festival in which it appeared the whole town had come out to listen and picnic. Dinner was delicious and the conversation was lively. We headed back a little after 9pm and when I got home I had all but blinked and was sound asleep. I would say a pretty good first day up here in Santa Rosa.






Sally, our tour guide, at the Korbel Winery.

Cabernet soaked white cheddar.


Mixed Greek olives and roasted beets. Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. I love to visit the Korbel winery when I'm in town too. It's got everything, doesn't it? Be sure to head further down Russion River Road to Armstrong Woods one day and really take in the redwoods.

    ReplyDelete