Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Restaurant Review - Dynamo Donut & Café

I flew back to northern California and since I was in San Francisco I HAD to stop by Dynamo Donut & Café. You see, I watched this program on the Food Network called "The Best Thing I Ever Ate: Bacon" because, well, I love bacon, and they talked about this place in San Francisco that incorporated bacon AND doughnuts. The world's two best (and unhealthiest) foods! I had found out about this place before I had committed to my 30 days no meat and knew this was the date I was going to be in SF and it was now or never (well not never, but longer than I wanted to wait). So my 30 day no meat was to end with a bacon doughnut and I was going to do everything I could to make that happen.

I had to overcome quite a few hurdles to get this bad boy. As I was taking BART from the airport I called to see what time they close. They close at 5pm on Tuesdays so I was going to be cutting it close. I got to the hotel and checked my bags and asked the doorman if he knew where it was. He did not so I looked it up on Google Maps on my phone and he informed me that it would be a 20 minute taxi ride to get there if not a little more as it was 28 blocks away. Shoot! It was already passed 4:40pm and I really wanted these doughnuts. I called my sister and she said to at least try, you never know. She was right. I started running. Literally. It is so hard to find a cab in SF so I wanted to get as far as possible as soon as I could. I called the store and the guy working to ask if they shipped the treasures. No. Darn it. I told him I was in town for a day and was at least 20 minutes away. He asked my name and what I wanted and then informed me that he would leave the door open for me. Praise Jesus! I had gone about 10 blocks when I lucked out and found a cab driver. I hopped in and told him my dilemma. He said that we wouldn't make it by 5pm but he would get me there as fast as possible. Man, he was great! We got there a little before 5:10 and just as the guy had promised the door was still open. They had cleaned up but there on the counter was the promise of heaven wrapped in a box. He even threw in an extra bacon doughnut and a spiced chocolate doughnut for me. The tag line for the store should read "Great ideas. Great doughnuts. Great people." I thanked and paid the angel and left.

My heart was pounding a million miles a minute from the adrenaline rush so I wanted to calm down first so that I could savor ever morsel that touched my lips. As I left the store I realized I now needed to get back to the hotel in Union Square and had not even thought as to how this was going to be accomplished. I looked down and I was wearing my gray flats, not quite walking (or running) shoes but how else could I justify eating a doughnut. I started the 4 mile trek back. I might have stopped a few times to open the box and just look at the masterpiece. Wouldn't you? But I made it back and sat in Union Square relishing every bite. I was licking my fingers as my fiends called. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect late afternoon.



Sites seen on the way home. There were tons more but I was too preoccupied to remember to take pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment