Thursday, October 8, 2009

I built the box!

I finally built my SFG (square foot garden) box. Boy am I handy. I always thought if I could do life over again a viable option for my career would be to be a carpenter and possibly make my own furniture too. But for now I will stick with the box. I built a 4x4 box to start off small. Honestly. I am having a bit of an argument with myself trying to decide if that is too small or too big for my first time gardening. Regardless it is done and I will just have to go through with it.

I set a goal for myself that I needed to build it last Saturday. I woke up, bright eyed and bushy tale as I am sure you can imagine, and was bumped to start building my box when....I discovered it was freezing outside! A girl who grew up in Southern California her whole life has got a lot of adjusting to do. So I decided to wait for it to warm up, and wait, and wait...fine! By noon I was too antsy so I bundled up in several layers and braved the cold. With the help of a handy dandy power drill, compliments of a friend up here, I started my work. Man working with your hands, wood, and power tools is so much fun! I could have built another that day I was having so much fun and given enough materials. It was a little to big and heavy to move on my own so I am waiting for help on that and plan to fill it up this coming Saturday and plant my seeds ASAP.

What to grow, what to grow? A list, and I need to double check that they are all winter crops, include spinach, lettuce, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, onions, beets, and more! See pictures below of my lovely work and stay tuned for more updates!





No comments:

Post a Comment