Sunday, October 11, 2009

The prissy, weak, and lazy need not apply

So I was going to go for a quick run on Sunday morning before getting started with the rest of the day when I stepped outside and it was sprinkling. Bummer. I didn't really want to go for a run in the mist and didn't want to drive to the gym so I opted to start my gardening early. I got my soil Saturday night around 11pm so needless to say I didn't have time to start it earlier.

Pulling on my sweatshirt and arming myself with gardening gloves I stepped into the backyard. I began mixing the peat moss, vermiculite, compost, and soil together in small batches to ensure equal parts and adequate mixing. For mixing I started out trying to mix with a shovel which last about all of 1 minute before I drudged in there and began mixing with God's tools, my hands. I would mix the 4 compounds together and then evenly spread them into the box. I interspersed layers of compounds with watering to help weight the soil down and give each layer enough moisture. It took about 8-10 batches to do all of this. Man, am I glad I lift weights at the gym because these bags were heavy. The task was laborious and repetitive but well worth it.

All in all I say it was a good trade off. I got tons of squats in , some dead lifts, and a bunch of other weight lifting moves you never realize you do in everyday errands. Gardening takes time, effort and attention plus you really can't be afraid to get yourself dirty. (I am pretty sure I carried about a pound of dirt back into the house with me. Oh well, that is what washers and vacuums are for.)




Now I just need to let it sit before planting my seeds and seedlings. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment