Friday, November 20, 2009

Quote to live by

As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, I have been reading Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck. In my reading I came across a quote that I wanted to share. The quote comes from the context of Mr. Steinbeck being pulled off to the side of the road and looking at a map trying to figure out what step to take next. The quote reads as follows, "But to find where you are going you must know where you are, and I didn't." Now most readers would just have kept on with the story, but I paused and mused over this. You see that sentence sums up where I was before moving north. I had to step outside of my body and time and look at where I was and where I truly wanted to go. Was this where I wanted to be? Where was I going? Was I on the right path to get to be where I wanted to go? You seem this seemingly innocuous sentence was a blip to me months earlier. A blip that festered until it was all I could think about and needed remedial action. In my old office I had a poem posted on the wall across from me. Every so often when I gazed upon it I got to thinking. That poem was The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost. A fairly famous poem yet one not contemplated enough by us, in my opinion. Only when I took the time to stop and ponder did my mind become clear. I guess I am saying this is something I plan on doing more often and I hope other people will as well. (I am glad I made the turn in the road soon than later as well.)

2 comments:

  1. I love Steinbeck's work, I've read everything he wrote, ending with Travels With Charley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a lot of his too and plan to read more. It is interesting to see how his mind works when in his own skin through Travels With Charley.

    ReplyDelete