Friday, December 11, 2009

Accidental Yummy Soup



So yesterday I took a break from studying to have lunch. I had just taken a practice exam of the chapters I have read so far and was not to pleased with my results so I opted to play the lecture on my computer in the background for review while I prepared lunch which is why I was slightly distracted and cannot account for the exact measures I am about to share. You see my options for lunch were my homemade chunky Italian minestrone which I had been eating all week so I kind of wanted something new. My wild mushroom and asparagus quiche, but I had forgotten to defrost a slice so that was out. Salad fresh from my garden which seemed not quite warm enough for this cold day. I noticed I had a few vegetables in the frig that needed to be used soon otherwise they would be a waste and so I opted for a throw together soup. And I thought, hey if it stinks at least I used my food and didn’t let it go to waste. Well leave it to boredom, necessity, absentmindedness, and being cold to make one of the tastiest soups! Here is what I know went in with approximate quantities in case you are feeling inspired and want to try it on your own.

8 cups of water
2 chicken-flavored bouillon cubes
1 cup uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium sized carrots, chopped
1/3 cup frozen corn
½ medium onion, sliced
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¾ Tbsp herbs de Provence
salt to taste

As you can see from the list of ingredients I was really cleaning out the refrigerator and pantry.

Combine water, bouillon, penne, celery, carrots, and corn in large pot and bring to boil. In a separate sauté pan over add olive oil and onions and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes, then set aside. When water has been boiling for about 5 minutes add onions and boil an additional 8 minutes. Turn heat down to medium-low and stir in the herbs de Provence. Cook for an additional 3 minutes. Serve warm. Freeze or refrigerate any leftovers and reheat later.

Note: I added a little salt in the water at the beginning. People vary in the saltiness of their food, so just salt to your own taste. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment