Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Restaurant Review - The Slanted Door


So I debated about whether or not to put this review up. You see, I don't like writing negative reviews. Even on Yelp, I usually write about the places that I actually liked unless it was a horrible experience and I want to save others the same fate.

Well my experience at The Slanted Door wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. Let me sum up.

Location: Ferry Building, San Francisco, CA

Decor: Modern. Nothing spectacular but it did have a pretty hoppin' bar area but it seemed way too loud to hear what your company was saying. They have an outside patio (with heaters) that overlooked the bay and the bridge which was pretty cool.

Staff: For a restaurant with so much buzz I would have expected great service. Our service was less than mediocre. It took a really long time to order and get our food. One of the people I was with really did not like her food (the title of the dish was misleading) and wanted to send it back. Well the waiter didn't come till the end of the meal so she never got to eat because he didn't bother to check on us. He did end up comping her dish, which I think he should have anyway at that point. Not what I call great. Oh, I forgot to mention that the wine I ordered was half sediment when I tried to drink it. Also, the weight staff never asked and they had to have seen the glass.

Food: As mentioned above, one person truly disliked their dish as mentioned above so I won't go into details. As for the other two dishes ordered, one was baby spinach with garlic and caramelized shallots in which the garlic and shallots were MIA so in essence we paid $11 for steamed spinach which would cost us about $0.50 to make ourselves. I ordered the cellophane noodles with fresh dungeness crab meat which was just a plate of noodles that came to our table cold and had the occasion chunk of crab meat. $18 for noodles. Catching a theme? Dessert, on the other hand, was actually quite delicious and the only thing I deemed worthy of taking a picture of. It was a maze of hazelnut, chocolate, chocolate cream, and nuts in a type of doughnut sandwich fashion. Quite tasty and it ran about $8.


1 comment:

  1. My experience there was similar, overrated and overpriced - but not so bad that you wanted to complain.

    ReplyDelete