Monday, January 4, 2010

And the theme for this year is...

Some of you are aware and others may not be, but I never make New Year's Resolutions, but a few years back I did start giving themes to the year. You see, 2005 was a very horrible year for me personally and about October 2005 I did a retrospective review and decided to take more control of my life and that I was going to make the next year awesome. Enter 2006: Year of The Awesome. And it was! I went to visit an old college roommate in Seattle which was so much fun, went to Chicago for the first time and meet up with a friend for a great steak dinner and went to see the Cubs play, road trip to Nor Cal with friends, Vegas with friends, saw a bundle of comedians, disco party, Weiner Dog Races, moved out on my own to Dana Point, Italy won the World Cup, fishing trip in Big Bear, went to some amazing concerts, and the list goes on and on. Because I took a chance and did not let anything bad bother me, I made the year live up to its name and have been naming years ever since.

Last year for me was The Year of Change. And boy did some big changes happen! I evaluated relationships I had that changed drastically, quit my job, moved 600 miles to the unknown, started gardening, became a vegetarian, and started taking the CPA exam. All of that leads me to right now which I am blindly living by faith each day. So you see, when I got the phone calls, texts, and so forth asking me what this year's theme would be I had to pause. I hadn't thought of it yet! Also, I take it seriously because it is my theme woven throughout the year. Honestly, I have done a lot of thought and I am torn between two ideas. My roommate has suggested that this be The Year of Free Stuff which of course I love, but it is passive as free stuff is given and I wanted to be more proactive in my theme and life. I decided on a combo of the themes and have deemed this year to be....drum roll please......

The Year of Stepping It Up

I had an epiphany and combined my previous two contenders: The Year of Moving On and The Year of Others. It is the year to move up and beyond where I am now. To challenge myself and to take risks. To progress from where I am now, personally, professionally, and spiritually. Also, to focus more on others and the relationships that I may have taken for granted. I have been very introspective for the past year and a half and have found that I am neglecting friendships and family more than I should have and I need to change that.

So what is your theme for the year? How are you going to make your life better or do better in 2010?

1 comment:

  1. That's a great theme, and the perfect evolution from where you set out a few years ago. Me? I did Downsizing in 2007 and 2008 and Preservation in 2009. I'm moving on to Conservation for 2010. Now there's no time to waste!

    ReplyDelete