Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I am in Southern California

You might have noticed a pattern that whenever I am out of town the posting does not seem to happen. Sorry about that. Honestly, when I actually am home I have the posts scheduled but I just haven't had time to type them up so here goes.

I go to the Banff Film Festival every year with my sisters and I was not going to miss it this year despite the location difference so I headed down south for a few days. We have cooked together, gone running at o'dark thirty, and just had fun enjoying each other's company.

Also, it is funny being home (or old home as it is now). You don't have to look up directions to go places, you know the streets to avoid at certain times, you know where you can walk to the grocery store, and you just fall back into that comfortable flow of life and people. It is just funny the muscle and mind memory of coming back here. I do miss a lot of things but most importantly these two.
I tried a new recipe! I found it here who in turn found it here and each way down the telephone we seemed to make our own variations of the original recipe. Hey, I know what I like. So here is my version. And of course I forgot to take a picture of my actual burger I cooked so there is a pic of the frozen stacks of the ones I will cook later.



Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burger

1 tablespoon oil

1 onions, diced

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 carrot, grated finely

1 cups black beans, cooked

1 baked sweet potatoes, scooped out of skin

1 cup quinoa, cooked

1 cup rolled oats

1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon ground cumin powder

1 teaspoon dried thyme

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and lower heat. Cook until lightly browned, several minutes. Add carrot and beans and cook an additional 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat. Mash slightly in pan, until beans are half crushed.

Place skillet mixture in large bowl with remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. If mixture is too moist, add more oats (this varies greatly depending on your ingredients). Form into approximately 12 patties. Cook what you need on a George Forman Grill, in a skillet with a little oil, or in the oven at 350 degrees. Wrap the rest in saran wrap and freeze until needed.


Oh, you would like my opinion on these? Right, that is the point of a recipe review isn't it. Sooooo good. I can't believe I have ever had this combination before but the three main ingredients are some of my favorite and they taste even better together. You MUST try and let me know how you like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment