Saturday, April 17, 2010

What's poppin'?

Sprouts in my garden!


First I have to mention that out of nowhere one of my old beets that I thought was dead sprouted in my garden! Remember the annihilation? Well it wasn't total devastation.


I might also add that the "litter box" instances has seem to stop, thank goodness, but I did have some other critter try to sift through my garden. As you can see from the pictures I had laid out old tomato cages to block the animals. Luckily in this attack, from the width and depth of the scooping it appears to be a raccoon or something larger, no plants of seeds were uprooted, just the soil turn around near some of the plants. So I fixed it and relaid the pennies around the cauliflower, killed a slug inching near the lemon cucumber.



Then I noticed a white, cylindrical thing in the soil. Armed with my gloves, I went to investigate, prepared to squash the creature if need be, when to my complete and utter surprise it turned out to be a squash plant starting to grow! I am not sure I can relay how excited I was. In fact, I was on the phone with my sister at the time and might have started yelling. See, when I first attempted the garden I had planted two winter squash. Only one had started growing, but was later killed. I just thought the second one was a bum seed and it was too late to try to start another. Well miracles of miracles, it finally sprouted! I relocated the uprooted squash, thank you Mr. Raccoon from bringing it to my attention, and planted it where it could have the space needed to grow. I reorganized my grid as to where things would be planted to make room, and am excited to see where it goes!



Currently in my SFG, sprouted: two cauliflower, three spinach, one bunch of basil, one golden beet, one yellow cucumber, and one winter squash.

Planted in pots, sprouted: three mesclun, two golden beets, two heirloom beefsteak tomatoes, two sugar daddy peas, and three cucumber.





And here is the hydrangea that came back to life and I planted. Look at the new growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment