Monday, May 24, 2010

Kitchen Staples

So everyone has kitchen staples that they always have on hand. Onions, celery, pasta, tomatoes, whatever it may be. Well one of the my staples is this little Peruvian sauce called Aji Sauce or as Inka Grill in Costa Mesa calls it, Gringo Killer.

Now if you don't like hot and spicy, then this sauce is definitely not for you. I however do love hot and spicy and have been eating this sauce with raw veggies or as my salad dressing. I decided to share the recipe with you. I found a close enough recipe online and made a few modifications.

Aji Sauce

1/3 cup mayo
*
2 tsp lime juice

1/2 head iceberg or romaine lettuce, chopped

1 cup cilantro leaves (stems removed as best you can)

5-6 serrano peppers, seeds and white membrane removed**

1 tsp minced garlic

3 chicken bouillon
 cubes
7 saltine crackers

**

Combine all ingredients into a food processor or VitaMix and blend until a smooth consistency.

* I have also tried using Greek yogurt instead and it worked with the consistency but lost a little of the taste. It is a little healthier if you want to give it a try.
** The recipe I found called for saltines which changes the texture a bit and also takes the heat down a bit. You can also make it without the crackers which I have a few times.
*** I use 6 serrano peppers but you can take it down to even 3 if you like it a little less spicy.

When I have had it in the restaurant they serve it with bread or else on top of rice. So yummy.
I hope you guys try this recipe out. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment