Saturday, September 25, 2010

Why I will now buy a bike helmet


Well apparently God wanted me to breakdown and finally buy a bike helmet. I have signed up to bike the Long Beach Marathon this year, my first, and I am super excited about it. Biking 26.2 miles is a bit (a lot) easier than running it and I have always wanted to so I signed up. I love biking, always have, always will. Ever since I was a kid you couldn't get me off of it. I take my bike with me every where and even if I can't take it, I rent a bike...and ride without a helemet. Helmets are for kids, right? WRONG.

I was meeting up with a friend this week to bike the Back Bay, about a 17 mile ride, and she was running a bit late so I was sitting in my car waiting for her. Well wouldn't you know it, while I was waiting I witnessed a car make a u-turn right into a biker about 30-feet from where I was sitting. The biker went flying through the air and landed half on the street and half on the curb. Luckily, he was wearing a helmet and was able to respond to questions after a few minutes, but the way he landed scare me and I was just glad that he wasn't hurt more than a few bad cuts, bruises, and being pretty shaken up. I ended up calling the police and giving a statement while the man was checked out by paramedics. I was just glad that he was going to be ok.

Now the Back Bay is a biking and jogging path so I felt relatively safe that night biking without a helmet and it is only at the end biking back to where I was parked where cars were present. Let's be honest, unexpected things can happen anywhere and at anytime. It is better to be safe than sorry. I was pretty shaken up witnessing the accident and it finally pushed me over the edge, I need to invest in a good helmet for my rides. Lesson learned, thank you God.

1 comment:

  1. I always cringe when I see helmet-less cyclists on busy roads. I've witnessed the kind of collision you did and that definitely had an impact.

    I forgot you can bike the Long Beach Marathon (and rollerblade it). You'll love the course!

    ReplyDelete