Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pulled Pork anyone?


So I decided this past weekend that I was going to give making pulled pork another go. You see, I never ate pork growing up. This was not due to religious purposes, merely that my mother never bought it and when I was out I never ordered. I believe that was a hidden fear of getting a disease from pork but I have no clue where that came from. As an adult I have tried to expand my palate and that has included pork. I have made a lovely Donna Hay recipe or apple pork chops wrapped in puff pastry. Pretty tasty and east to make. Next, I tried a Robin Miller recipe and hated it. Her recipe for pulled pork was not up my flavor alley. So when the pork bug hit me again this past weekend my sister recommended a recipe from the new show Kelsey's Essentials. I road my bike over the the grocery store, came home, popped the ingredients in the slow cooker and 4-6 hours later a memorable dish was ready to be eaten. So succulent and flavorful. I have tons of meals for the week. I might ever freeze some just for an emergency meal. Man, I need to use the slow cooker more often. I mist say, I altered the recipe only slightly. Here is the recipe I used:




Slow Cooker Shredded Pork (adapted from Kelsey Nixon)



1 (15-ounce) can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes


3 tablespoons chili powder


3 tablespoons light brown sugar


2 tablespoons ground coriander


1 tablespoon ground cumin


1 (3-pound) pork shoulder (or butt), trimmed of excess fat


salt & pepper


5 garlic cloves, minced


2 yellow onions, dice


1/4 cup lime juice


Puree diced tomatoes. To puree add chili powder, brown sugar, coriander, and cumin and mix well. Put sauce in the bottom of slow cooker and add meat. Turn meat to coat all sides. Add onions and garlic and toss to coat. The rest can be found HERE.






Any recipes you can recommend?







2 comments:

  1. The pork industry defends horrendous cruelty to animals -- factory farmers keep breeding pigs locked in two-foot-wide crates where the pigs can’t even turn around for nearly their entire lives. Eight states have passed laws against this type of animal abuse, yet groups like the National Pork Producers Council still support it.

    More info at this link: http://www.humanesociety.org/news/press_releases/2010/12/smithfield_pigs_121510.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I absolutely agree that the conditions mention on the link above are horrific which is why I like to buy either meat from my local farmer's market that is humanly grown or else from a grocery store like Whole Foods or Sprouts that also gives you those options. A good source to read up on the meat industry is a book called "Eating Animals". I highly recomend it as well as the film "Food Inc".

    ReplyDelete