Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Friday, August 26, 2011
Salmon was $7.99/lb from Sprouts. I always ask the butcher to give me a quarter of a pound to try to get as close as possible to 4 oz which is a serving size. This was almost 6 oz but I had just worked out and was pretty hungry. Salmon was coated with spice rub from Williams Sonoma. I highly recommend their spice rubs, truly addicting.
Cantaloupe was $2 for a whole melon from the Long Beach Farmer's market
Asparagus (one of my favorite vegetables) was $2.50 for a huge bunch. This was only 1/3 of the bunch.
Salmon - $3.04
Asparagus - $0.83
Cantaloupe - $0.25
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Thursday, August 18, 2011
My daily life has change a bit recently. Along with working out with Tony Horton and P90X I am also being fairly strict with my calorie intake and the types of food that go into my body. All this week 80% of what I have eaten came straight from the farmer's market, the other 20% were from Trader Joe's. I am aiming to have a 1/3 ratio for protein, carbs, and fats and have been doing great. Sure I have had to choke down some protein that made me gag (salmon) but I am keeping that ratio. Being the fast oxidizer I am, I need to have around 40% of my calories be from protein. When I do eat that way I have noticed a steady stream of energy throughout the day and am less hungry, unlike my sister who loves eating protein but is actually a slow oxidizer and can maintain her energy on more carbs than protein. For me, being less hungry and not used to the large amount of protein = having to choke down salmon last night. It is amazing to me when you eat food straight from the source (raw fruits & veggies, cooked fruits and veggies, eggs, & fish) how MUCH you eat and how LITTLE calories are in them. Currently I am snacking on about 4 cups of veggies that total less than 100 calories. (In those veggies are string beans from my mother's garden. Man are they good!)
Anyway, my energy is good today and I am planning on going to bed at a decent time tonight. Just trying to get to be the best I can be and the healthiest I can be. Makes me wonder how much better I could have felt in the past on those down days where coffee and carbs were calling my name.
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Anyway, here is part of my yummy lunch. I am loving my spinach, mushroom, and scallion quiches. Super easy to make, fast, travels well, and totally healthy. Kicking up that protein level one step at a time. Also, I am loving plain, non-fat Greek yogurt for breakfast. Who knew?
Come on, get back on the train with me!
Monday, August 15, 2011
Anyway, I was sad to leave and am already thinking about my next trip. San Francisco, until we meet again...