Friday, May 4, 2012

Don't you just love the app store?


Have you ever read "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie"?  It kind of reminds me of this past weekend.  Saturday morning my sister was cleaning her room and asked if I had anything to donate to the Goodwill as she was going there later.  Hmm.... I have currently been in a funk about wanting to throw out my entire wardrobe and start over.  So I started flipping through my closet for Goodwill nominees which lead to me thinking about what to keep, which lead me to thinking about my styling, which lead me to fashion apps in iTunes and trying to find an app that would help me utilize my closet and to make it more fashionable.  So I researched and found a few contenders before I settled on this lovely gem, StyleBook.  OH MY GOSH!  After watching the video on it and committing to purchasing the app for $3.99 (I hate paying more than $.99 but so worth it!) I spent the next several (understatement) hours going through my closet.  I made a good size pile for the Goodwill drop off and set to  taking pictures of my clothes, shoes, handbags, jewelry, etc in my closet as well as doing my laundry to take pictures of those items.

It is amazing once you categorize your clothing in an app to find out that you own 5 gray dresses and have an inkling for military style jackets. That you have 3 blue tank tops you seem to neglect, 12 white tank tops you wear under everything, and 3 vintage green purses you forgot all about.  I had just purchased a sleeveless navy blue top from Banana Republic only to find I already had 2 that looked very similar. Luckily my sister was there to assure me that they could all be worn in different genres and the app allowed me to specify evening verses day, and cotton verses silk. 

I have to admit I did not make it through my wardrobe this weekend and the project has continued on this week as well.  I cannot tell you how much I love this app and how it has already been utilized this week.  I have gotten 6 compliments on my outfit today alone and 10 on my necklace I finally wore.  The app allows you to save outfits, track outfits worn on certain days, add to your wish list, send pictures of the outfit you assembled, and make you co-workers jealous of your fabulous style.  In hind sight, this app makes me appreciate the things I already had in my closet and challenged me try some new combination now that I had all of my wardrobe at my finger tips.  On a downside, I now see the need for purchasing more belts and jewelry and am going to try to wear scarves more.  Let the great experiment begin! (Arrested Development reference)  Here are a few outfits I have started putting together.  I highly encourage getting this app and taking your wardrobe to the next level!



1 comment: