Monday, July 16, 2012

Book Review: Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

Drowning Ruth  Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Why did I give this book a 3? Well I did not love it which denotes a 4-5 star rating. The author was articulate and had a plot line so clearing a 1 or 2 would be too little. It was just a book I had to read for a book club.

That being sad, I really wish we had chosen another book. Granted, when I got the book from the library and say it was part of Oprah's Book Club I should have know that this book would be drawn out, vague, depressing, and did not finish up in a tiny bow. The author does the time old classic of having character's refuse to communicate with each other while giving us an insight into each person. It is one of those books where you sit back and say, "Really? A million opportunities to say one sentence and they just refuse. Well I wouldn't hang out with that person." I found that I did not sympathize with the characters and really just wanted to finish the book to tell my book club that I read it.

It you like Oprah Book Club type books than this is the one for you. If you like depth of character in which you can relate and/or sympathize with the characters, then move on and chose another book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment