Monday, July 9, 2012

Cooking with Donna & strawberry jam!

I am back on the bandwagon!  I made not only one but two Donna Hay recipes this weekend. Congratulations all around!

I must say that this was a great weekend filled with BBQ, biking, cooking, and even making strawberry jam.  Yummy!  I don't know what it is but I just love making jam and pickled veggies and all things to do with canning.

To start off with I bought a new Donna Hay book called, "New Fast Food".
While this is not in my top 5 Donna Hay books, I still love it! I made dinner for my sister and I which consisted of Chicken with Quince Paste wrapped in prosciutto baked over leeks in white wine (used chicken stock as I did not have white wine on hand).  The chicken was studded with fennel seeds and next time I am cutting a slit in the center and putting a bay leaf.  Recipe was really quick to make and I loved the mellow flavors.  Something about a tender chicken breast wrapped in crispy prosciutto makes me heart warm.



On Sunday we had a jamming party.  Appetizers were of course present and I chose to make one of the recipes out of "Instant Entertaining" which was ground chicken cooked with minced peppers, lemon grass, mint, and ginger. Finish off with a Thai sauce mixture and serve in endive leave or in my case Napa cabbage leaves as endives are not in season.  So healthy, fast, and delicious.  Next time though I am adding more peppers to kick on the heat.  I had left over chicken mixture so Monday for lunch I made spring rolls with the left overs and some herbs and sriracha.  Am I making you hungry yet?  My sister made the Pea Pesto Crostini with veggies and then a few other dishes.  It was delicious and we had tons of fun making the jam, chatting, and munching.  Of course we biked down to the beach later to enjoy the sun and heat.



Strawberries are at the peak of their season and the flavors are to die for right now so my sister picked up tons of baskets from the farmer's market and we tried some new recipes from this blog she follows on urban canning called Food In Jars. We made a bunch of batches with different recipes and flavors.  Vanilla Bean Strawberry Jam, Strawberry Thyme Jam with Wildflower Honey, and Strawberry Thyme Jame with Orange Blossom Honey.  We created some cute labels for the jam and are ready to go into business!  Okay, we are not really going into business, but I had a lot of fun, loved the flavors, and am planning on many more canning events in my future.




No comments:

Post a Comment