Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What 1,200 Calories Looks Like

So one of my favorite blogs to read, Can You Stay For Dinner?, has a few posts about what 1,200, 1,500, and 1,800 calories looks like.  One of the reasons I started following the blog is because she eats very similarly to me.  My sister and I are tracking out workouts and food consumption with the LoseIt! app and I decided to take pictures of what I ate today to show you what a typical day looks like.

BREAKFAST
 I am one of those people that needs to have protein in the morning otherwise I will be starving by 10am.  I had a nectarine from the farmer's market as well as 2 poached eggs also from the farmer's market.  If I could I would have had scrambled but I was pressed for time and opted to microwave the eggs.
Calories: 225

LUNCH
I pretty much have a salad everyday for lunch.  I have loved salads ever since I can remember.  And the more fun ingredients you put in the better.  Today is was mellow with romaine, cucumber, bell peppers slices, and homemade salad dressing.  The protein is pulled chicken (same as pulled pork but made with chicken).  I used the Kelsey Nixon recipe which I love and is super easy as you just put everything in the slow cooker and walk away.  I have been having this for lunch all week and am not yet sick of it.
Calories: 275

SNACK
Not pictured, but a cup of coffee with a splash of half & half and a homemade banana muffin in which I used apple sauce in place of vegetable oil.  It was m afternoon snack and just hit the spot.
Calories 200

DINNER

I was going to go to the gym after work and watch the Dallas/New York kickoff game for the 2012-2013 NFL season.  I was feeling pretty tired and wanted to have dinner so I listened to my body and took a night off and just had a small dinner.  I got home and decided I wanted to make a quiche so my sister could have something to eat for her long nights at work this week.  I busted out my Donna Hay Modern Classics Book 1 cookbook for her classic crust recipe.  I am telling you, once to see how fast and inexpensive it is to make your own crust you will never buy another overpriced one from the grocery store again.  I decided to make a quiche I have never made before and before arriving home I stopped by the grocery store and grabbed some sliced ham, swiss cheese, and spinach.  As I was making the crust I saw that Donna Hay had a similar recipe to the one I was making so I used her cooking time and measure of some of the ingredients.  While the quiche was cooking for 40 minutes I snacked on a peach as I was getting hungry.  The quiche smelled like Heaven and I had a hard time waiting for it to cool.  I finally cut my sliver and had it with some romaine lettuce, parmesan cheese, and balsamic vinegar for a side salad.  The meal was hearty and left me feeling satisfied.  Man, who knew?  I never really eat ham but I am definitely making this quiche again!
Calories 500

So there you have it, 1,200 calories consumed.  If I can do it, anyone can do it.  Making my own food and packing my own lunch has really helped curb my calories as I know what and how much goes into each piece of food.  I have to say, it was a good day and I am glad I took a night off and went home to watch Dallas stomp New York!!!

To see pictures of when I went to the Cowboys training camp click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment