Monday, November 12, 2012

Book Review: Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon GreatnessEat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Scott Jurek
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this book because I had read "Ultramarathon Man" by Dean Karnazes and also "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall and enjoyed both. This book also told the story from the voice of an ultra runner but and had some fun running stories and gave a little insight to the thoughts and workers of an elite athlete. Although I did enjoy reading this book I interpreted it as non-emotive information rather than a book written from passion. Not to say Scott is not a passionate guy, I just think his passion is running and not writing. He chose the title "Eat and Run" to talk about how he chooses the vegan lifestyle and is still a top performer in the running world. I felt that the "Eat" part of the title felt like an afterthought of the book with bits and pieces added in to make the book differ from Dean's ultra book. Most chapters talked about running and then had a recipe at the very end. I guess I did not feel the unity of eat AND run as the title implied.

But overall if you enjoy books on running I think you will like this one. My favorite line was when his friend Dusty informed him that he had just stepped on a rattlesnake unbeknownst to Scott as he was in the zone and gunning for the victory. Now that is concentrated dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment