Friday, November 16, 2012

My Lucky Dozen

So this post has been a long time in coming.  In late September I had one of those moments when I hated ever piece of clothing I owned and stared gape-mouthed at my closet loathing everything.  It was then that I remembered an old article from years past in the magazine Lucky.
 

The article showed how with 11 articles of clothing (accessories, jewelry, and shoes was not included) you could make 31 different ensembles for the month.  After looking at my budget and realizing that purchasing said 11 articles of clothing not was out of the question, I took it upon myself to chose the Lucky Dozen from my current wardrobe.  I sent my sister a challenge to do it with me (thank goodness for sisters) and I was set for the month of October.  I altered the Lucky Dozen challenge a bit in that the outfits chosen would be worn Monday - Friday and the weekend could be whatever we felt like.  I have a hard time wearing dresses and skirts on the weekends when jeans are of so comfortable.

So here was my Lucky Dozen from my wardrobe.
(L to R, Top to Bottom): Pink Silk Blouse : Nordstrom, Grey A-line Skirt : Khols, White Button Down : Gap, Jeans : Kut From the Kloth (Nordstrom), Black Sheath Dress : Old Navy (old dress from my sister), Grey Boyfriend Blazer : Gap, Grey Slacks : Gap, Black Cardigan : J Crew, Khaki Skirt : from my sister, Purple Blouse : Norsdstrom, Orange Sweater Turtleneck : Banana Republic

I went about assigning a number to each piece of clothing.  My sister had the genius idea to fold note cards in half, cut a slit in the center, and label a number and stick it on each corresponding hanger. (See, this is why you need other people.)  Here is an example ensemble:

Day 1:

Reflections:
1. I put together outfits I never would have thought of and ended up getting a lot of compliments during the week.  I guess my wardrobe was a bit better than the previously thought humdrum of clothing.
2. Time saver.  I cannot express to you enough how much time and energy the Lucky Dozen was each morning.  The biggest time consumer in the morning for me is choosing what I am going to wear.  With the Lucky Dozen I just chose a day on the list the night before and knew what I was going to wear.  Somehow knowing what I was going to wear and knowing the look would have the "put-together-look" I love took such a weight off of my mind.
3. I discovered that the khaki skirt was not up to scruff for me and I needed to donate it when I was done (I did).  The grey jacket is great quality, color, and style, but I need to have it taken in and tailored a bit for me.  The purple silk top is great, but I just didn't love how it looked in some of the looks and I am questioning how often I would wear it and if I should keep it in my closet.
4. I really liked this experiment.  So much so that I am doing it again for November with some altered pieces.

I am not saying I am a completely changed person, but after getting the book "Lessons From Madam Chic" wear the author Jennifer Scott talks about French fashion and how French women have a 10-piece wardrobe for each season I did go into my closet and got rid of 5 bags of clothing that were either too big, too worn out, did not fit me correctly, or just made me feel frumpy, and donated them.  Needless to say, my closet miraculously now has room to breath and choosing my outfits has become a heck of a lot easier.  Okay, and the compliments I get aren't bad either.  Hope you are inspired to step up your wardrobe and create new outfits you never imagined before.

No comments:

Post a Comment