Monday, November 19, 2012

Week 14 Donna Hay: Autumn Feast

I found out Saturday that some extended family and out of town friends were going to be coming over for dinner.  I volunteered to make a Donna Hay meal as it would be fun entertaining and I needed to check another one off of my list.  Upon review of the meals I had left, hoe could I not chose Autumn Feast considering the season outside.

The table was set and dinner as served.

The Menu:

Starter
_____________________________________
pancetta with blue cheese and pear
Best laid plans would have been pears with this salad, but alas dessert called for figs which I am sad to say are not in season right now.  I opted to have the pears go with dessert and used a black apple to the starter salad.  The pancetta was cooked under the broiler which made clean up a cinch and was no time to cook at all.  The flavors blended well and the mixture of textures was perfect.

Main
_____________________________________
garlic roast lamb cutlets on a bed of roasted potatoes and zucchini

Side
_____________________________________
lemon butter pan spinach
What could be easier than roasting dinner?  A quick chop of the potatoes and zucchini, pop them in the oven.  Brown the lamb then toss that on the veggies in the roasting pan topped with a delicious honey-mustard and mint dressing.  Everything came out cooked perfectly, and again that honey-mustard combination was a hit.  The only snafu was I called several places for lamb cutlet but was unsuccessful.  I ended up buying a rack of lamb and separating out the pieces.  I think next time I may try to order the meat so that there are thicker pieces.  The spinach side, how can you go wrong with spinach and lemon?  Next time I need to keep the spinach pan on low to keep hot for serving and needed to make much more as I could have had the whole serving myself!

Dessert
_____________________________________
fig pie
So you may notice something missing in the picture.  You see, this was my sister's piece that she was sitting and enjoying and then happened to remember I needed a picture.  I guess that meant she liked it?  I did too.  Not too sweet at all.  As I mentioned earlier this was suppose to be a fig pie but there were no figs available to I morphed dessert into a pear tart.  I modified Donna's shortcrust recipe by adding less flour and butter and adding a dash of sugar and vanilla.  I tossed the pears in about a tablespoon of sugar before baking and topped with honey just before serving.  I felt it was the perfect sweetness and my guest loved it.  Again the brother-in-law declared the meal "Perfect!" and said I must make it again soon.

Another great Donna Hay!  Hope you enjoyed the pictures by everyAugust.



1 comment:

  1. I was bragging about this delicious meal to J and A the other day! It really was excellent. I plan on picking up the Donna Hay cookbook soon.

    ReplyDelete