Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Review: Lessons from Madame Chic

Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in ParisLessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris by Jennifer L. Scott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I found this book while looking for inspiration for the 10-item wardrobe or capsule wardrobe as Jennifer Scott terms it. I have to admit I actually went and bought the book and have since loaned it out to a few friends and family members.

Jennifer Scott went to study abroad in Paris while she was in college and the experience forever changed her day-to-day life. In the book she details how her host family, specifically the mother whom she calls Madame Chic, lived their daily lives through fashion, fine food, and friends. Jennifer inspired me to think better and do better. To wear those things that accentuate who you are and to discard the rest. I admit after finishing this book I purged my closet and gave 5 bags of clothes to the Goodwill that no longer fit, were less than flattering, or I had just never worn. (My closet is quite Spartan now.) In fact, I have not bought a single piece of clothing since reading the book and am appreciating the wardrobe I have now. I have since been setting the table every night for dinner with my nice napkins and dinnerware. Appreciating those mundane daily tasks that I never knew I loved. Just sitting down and sipping my tea in the morning for my quiet time can really make my day.

In a way this book did remind me a bit of Mireielle Guilano's book "French Women Don't Get Fat" in that you are challenged to enjoy the little pleasures in life, not over indulge, but to just make a mental note of those things each day.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book and how much it effected my life. I would recommend this book to any woman to just stop and think about this life you are living and the quality involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment