Monday, January 21, 2013

Week 15 Donna Hay: Summer Supper

 

So January has been mostly Paleo eating for me and the family but I had to make another Donna Hay meal which of course was not.  I am not holding myself to rigid restrictions when it comes to Paleo but I am trying to make most of my meals fit into that category.

Last night the menu was Summer Supper.  Yes, I do live in California and yes it is winter here, the complete opposite of Australia.  I sent my guest 4 choices and this was the winner.  Now for the dishes...

Starter
_________________________________________
Goat's Cheese Tarts

These suckers were quite a hit and why not when they were made with puff pastry, caramelized onions, and goat's cheese.  The trifecta combination for food.  The only prep was caramelizing the onions and cutting the disks for the pastry.  My sister said this would be a great dish to take to a party and make one big plate and cut it into slices.  I agree.

Main + Side
_________________________________________
Crispy Peppered Salmon + Fennel and Celeriac Slaw

I am not a big fish fan and certainly not a salmon fan.  When I do eat salmon I only like the taste of wild caught.  Yes I know, I am a bit persnickety.  So I spent the extra dough for the Alaskan wild caught salmon.  Crisp the fillets up over high heat to make a nice sear.  The slaw I made ahead of time which had a lemon, mayonnaise, and horseradish dressing.  I have a confession: this is the first time I have ever cooked celery rot.  I liked it.  In fact, I really liked it and want to explore more with this forgotten vegetable.  It does not taste like celery to me but in fact a muted soft flavor that I cannot quite describe.  The salmon was cooked perfectly and I liked the slaw.  Next time I am going to use fresher horseradish as the jar I used from my sister might have been a little old and had lost a lot of its flavor.  Still, the flavors were mellow and nice.

Dessert
_________________________________________
Coconut Plum Crumbles

Alas, plums are not in season and when that is the case you have a hard time finding them in our grocery stores as more people are trying to buy local and seasonal.  I was lucky to find a bunch of pluots and substituted them instead.  Dessert was nice and refreshing.  The ice cream however, stood out to me more than the coconut fruit.  I think I will cook them longer next time to further melt the plums/pluots and make the coconut even more golden.  I will say, dessert was the perfect size and subtle enough to finish off the meal.


Will I make these recipes again?  Yes.  Are they stand out?  Not really, but they might be perfect, as the title suggests, for a causal Summer Supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment