Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Easter cooking with the family


While I may have been extremely busy with work I did have time for family during Easter.  I was also lucky enough to be able to cook for a lot of the meals.

(My father studding the lamb with garlic.)

(Pictured: 2 of the 3 legs that were cooked over potatoes.)

(Paleo salad of squash and zucchini.)

I was my dad's sioux chef for making the lamb and potatoes.  Can you see them under the lamb?  I cannot tell you how good those tasted when they crisped up in the oven saturated with lamb fat.  And that pasta/salad shown is actually crookneck squash and zucchini that have been julienned and tossed with lemon olive oil and salt and pepper.  Tossed in some basil leaves and topped with tomatoes, it made a fine side dish and I liked it so much I have made it a few times since.

Then there was Easter brunch a week later at my mother's home.  This time she as my sioux chef and we cooked from a Gourmet Today cookbook I purchased for a steel in the bargain section at Barnes & Noble.  The menu was 

Lemon-Craisin Scones
Baked Eggs topped with a Sweet Potato Hash
Fresh Fruit
Spinach Salad




Okay, so the scones were suppose to be Orange-Raisin scones but my mother has the best lemon tree so we used those and who eats/likes raisins anyway?  Yuck! You mean your mother did not make you eat a bowl or gummy oatmeal with raisins and no sugar for breakfast growing up?  (Thanks mom for making us eat healthy food but no more raisins!)

I have to admit, I loved that hash so much that I made another batch the net day to take with my for my breakfasts during the week.  And those scones were perfect!  

I love cooking and it was a much needed and appreciated break from work.

Ciao, and bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment