Saturday, November 1, 2014

Donna Hay: Lemon Pudding

Do you ever get the inkling to cook something scrumptious but refuse to walk to the grocery store to do it?  Just the other evening I settled down with a bundle of Donna Hay cookbooks with just that mindset.  I was reheating this amazing slow cooker chicken and vegetable soup I had made but felt that I needed a little something sweet to round off the meal. What could I make that was easy, quick, delicious, and I had all of the ingredients on hand?  Lemon Pudding.


My love for lemon goes deep.  In fact, if you offered me a choice of chocolate or lemon flavorings odds are I will choose lemon.

It had been a while since I had made something from one of my Donna Hay cookbooks so I thought why not get back on the bandwagon.

I rounded up the ingredients, poured them into a blender and blended until combined.  I then divided the mixtures among six baking ramekins and stuck them in the oven.  20-25 minutes later I took them out of the oven to cool and voila!  

Waiting for them to cool was quite a task, but I managed to wait a whole five minutes before I took a bite.

If you like lemon then you will like these lemon pudding cups. (understatement) They packed just the right amount of sweet and pucker.  Well done Donna Hay!

I wrapped the remaining ramekins in plastic wrap and stuck them in my refrigerator to enjoy with a later meal.  Donna suggests topping each pudding cup with a scoop of vanilla ice cream which I did not have so I topped mine with a bit of freshly made whipped cream.  This too was a nice combination.

Donna Hay has about six different published lemon pudding recipes, but here is the one from her book "The Instant Cook" which can be purchased from Amazon.com.

Lemon Pudding:
3 oz (6 tablespoons) soften butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking power

Preheat your oven to 355 degrees.  Place the butter, sugar, milk, eggs, lemon juice, flour, and baking power in your blender.  (The recipe said food processor but mind started leaking so I switched to a blender which worked much better for me.)  Process until smooth.  Pour the mixture into 6 x 1 cup capacity greased ramekins (I did not need to grease mine but you might) or ovenproof teacups and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. 
Serves 6

The recipe says that it serves six but honestly I think that you could divide the batter into 10-12 ramekins and the dessert would still be a good size especially if you have the scoop of ice cream.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It really does taste like the best lemon bar ever! Next time I think we should make a shortbread crust and put the lemon pudding on it to make our own version of amazing lemon bars!

    ReplyDelete