Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Tuesdays with E - French Bistro


Sometimes a good dinner does not have to be that difficult.  Don't judge and I promise I will not judge you for the same, but if you find yourself shopping at Trader Joe's and they have a marinated steak that just needs to be grilled, you are totally allowed to take credit for cooking it and making a wonderful meal.

So it went for my chimchurri marinated steak dinner.  The meat was already marinaded, I just needed to make sure that it was grilled to perfection.  I decided to serve the steak alongside some roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts topped with bacon and rosemary.  Roasted vegetables is also kind of cheating as they are so easy to make and yet taste so good. (Look at how worn that pan is?  You can tell it has made some pretty amazing dishes over the years.)

The veggies turned out well, but I am tweaking the recipe for next time.  I am going to keep the oven at 400-450 degrees and let the veggies get a little bit crispier.  I had turned the oven down to 375 and it just wasn't as crispy as I would have liked. Also, my brother-in-law was here for this meal and he suggested cutting the potatoes down more to create more surfaces to get crispy.  I am going to keep that in mind.


The meal was rounded off with some very nice H3 cabernet sauvignon.  I like to think of the dinner as French bistro. (No, my sister does not have a decanter.  Yes we "decanted" the wine into a pitcher.  Hey, necessity is the mother of invention.)


Oh, and did I mention, I also made French Apple Pie with the flakiest pie crust.

This pie and crust recipe has been a family tradition since I was in elementary school.  For a fund raiser the school had families submit good old fashion home cooking recipes and a giant cookbook was made.  To this day my mother still has the cookbook and I am pretty sure all of us have called dibs on it for when she wants to part with it.  In fact, the crust recipe was submitted by my fourth grade teacher as it was her grandmother's recipe.  (It is honestly the best crust you will ever taste. If you want it, just let me know.)

And why yes, that is an Emile Henry baking dish from William's Sonoma that my sister bought me as a lovely present.  Isn't it gorgeous?  This is the beginning of a beautiful pie relationship.

Hope you can enjoy a lovely French bistro meal for yourself, I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment