Sunday, January 25, 2015

Inspiration: back to the basics quiche

Lox and Cream Cheese Quiche
Have you ever stopped and reflected on where you are in life and have noticed you have gotten off track?  Well I have been going on long walk lately and have been able to get my mind back into line with my life goals.  One of the paths I have decided to get back onto was my meal planning.  I reflected that when I was at my healthiest I have a ritual where every Sunday I would make a quiche for the week to take for lunch alongside a simple salad.

The other day I was watching a fun YouTube channel called SORTED Food in which the chef Ben made a fast yet delicious quiche.  Here is the video that inspired me.




I immediately put down my iPad and stomped downstairs into the kitchen to make a quiche for the week.  After prodding from my sister I have decided to write down the recipe as well I can (I never measure ingredients with a quiche).  Here is the recipe for my SORTED Food inspired Lox and Cream Cheese Quiche

Lox and Cream Cheese Quiche

Lox and Cream Cheese Quiche
Serves 8

Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons butter, cold
1/4 cup plus 1-3 tablespoons ice water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon herbs de Provence

Filing:
5 large eggs
1/2 milk (I used 2%)
1 medium size yellow onion, roughly diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
olive oil
2 scallions, greens and white, thinly sliced
6 oz canned salmon
3 oz cream cheese
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

To make the crust: In a large mixing bowl combined flour and butter with hands until butter is the size of peas.  Add salt, herbs de Provence, and 1/4 cup cold water.  Use hands to combine until a cohesive ball is formed.  If the mixture is not coming together add 1 tablespoon of cold water at a time until combined.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, roll out dough and place in 9" tart pan.  Cover with parchment paper and pie weights and blind bake at 350 degrees to 12 minutes.  Remove parchment paper and weights and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

For the filling: In skillet add about 1 tablespoon olive oil, yellow onions, and garlic.  Cook until onions are translucent then turn off the heat and set aside.  In a separate bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence.  Set aside.  After tart crust has cooked, increase oven temperature to 375 degrees.  In tart crust layer the yellow onions and garlic followed by the chunks of salmon, then the green onions.  Slowly pour over the egg and milk mixture.  Lastly, dollop tablespoon-size chunks of the cream cheese.  Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until quiche does not giggle.  Let cool for 10-15 minutes and then serve immediately.

Lox and Cream Cheese Quiche

No comments:

Post a Comment