Friday, January 23, 2015

London High Tea at The Orangery

Me having tea at The Orangery, Kensington Palace, London, UK


My London visit was a bit of a whirlwind and there was very little time to do much of the touristy things, but one must do for me was to have high tea.  I convinced my compatriots to join me which was not hard to do. 

One thing about London which is similar to Southern California is that you need to make reservations well in advance.  This also includes dinner plans with friends and even dinner at a pub.  The first night we were in London we went to get dinner at a lovely gastropub called The Pig's Ear.  We were able to walk there from our hotel and upon entering the pub were asked if we had reservations.  Looking around, every table and spot at the bar was taken.  We were lucky that they had one table open up and could accommodate us.  I of course ordered the fish and chips as that is what one must do when visiting London.  Despite not liking fried food nor fish, it was actually really good and I finished my portion.

All this being said, every place I tried for tea reservations had been booked months in advance.  I had heard upon good authority that I should try The Orangery at the Kensington Palace which was more laxed on their dress code and might have an opening.  I tried making reservations on their website but they too appeared to be completely booked for the one afternoon we had free.  I bit the bullet and purchased some minutes on my Skype app and called to see if perhaps there was a cancellation and they could squeeze us in.  Eureka!  There had been a party of 4 that had to cancel and I scooped up their table!

The Orangery menu at the Kensington Palace
Walking through the park at the Kensington Palace

Kensington Palace

Gardens at the Kensington Palace

The Orangery
Table setting for tea at The Orangery








(all photos taken by my lovely iPhone 6 camera)

No comments:

Post a Comment