Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Book Review: How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are

How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, and Bad HabitsHow to Be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, and Bad Habits by Anne Berest
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What can I say? If you are a francophile than you will like this book. If you like slightly sarcastic women then you will like this book. If you enjoy reading about cultural differences then you will like this book. If you like picking a book up, reading a bit, then setting it down to read later then you will like this book.

I was a little mislead as to this books format as I thought it was going to be a guide as to the cultural difference between how American women and French women's life and interactions. I was wrong, but I was okay with that. In fact, I quite enjoyed each of the author's tones in their 2-4 page stories. There are four author's and each one has a distinct voice although I cannot place the voice with the specific author. This book would be great if you do not have a set time that you can read and you want to be entertained in short spurts of time. Often I find I have to carve out and dedicate time to reading a book so that I can remember characters and sequences of events. Not so for this book as each 2-4 page chapter is a story in and of itself. The graphics and pictures scattered throughout the book gave you the feeling of a true French woman's essence. It turns out that American women and French women are not all that different, or at least I found that I myself was a lot like the authors of this book. Neurotic, lovable, flamboyant, insecure, and prideful are some of the qualities expressed but you could not help but want to be friends with each and everyone of the authors.

This is a quick read and great for just sitting around at a coffee shop and having the occasional conversation with the stranger next to you just as a French woman would. I hope you enjoy.

P.S.  I can check this one off of my February Goals list that I posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment