Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Book Review: Mennonite In A Little Black Dress

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going HomeMennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An unexpected bout of sarcastic humor. Rhoda Janzen's memoir about her time returning to her parent's home in California in a close knit Mennotite community was an unexpected delight. A breeze to read, you will find you lose track of time through her stories and memories of a time in her life where she was coping from an accident and her unexpected divorce. I found that I laughed at loud at times from her wit and never felt sorry for her but instead cheered on her resolve as she cops with huge issues in her life. And how could you not cheer for this woman whose husband left her for Bob from Gay.com.  She parallels what she is coping with now alongside her memories of her childhood and growing up Mennonite.  The translation of her mother's songs through me into fits of giggles.  Growing up in a religious family I found that I had some similar reflections of life that she does now. One particular analogy in the memoir I found quite thought provoking regarding burying a non-Catholic solider in a Catholic cemetery.  I won't spoil it for you, but I hope it makes you think as well.

I suggest reading this book on a porch in the summer or in a nice bath. Don't take life too seriously, you will never make it out alive.

Cross this book off of my list of things to do in February.  Another goal accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment