Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Plain Jane - Cookbook of the Month Sprouted Kitchen

Walnut-Crusted Wild Salmon with Edamame Mash

Well I did it again.  I made another salmon dish from "The Sprouted Kitchen" cookbook.  See the first one HERE.

In the quest to eat more fish (and like it) I decided to try the next salmon recipe in Sara Forte's book since I liked the first one so much.

The next one I tried was the Walnut-Crusted Wild Salmon with Edamame Mash. I usually don't have edamame or salmon in the house, but the rest of the ingredients in the recipe were part of my kitchen staples which is really what I look for in a recipe.  Cooking with staples means you are more likely to make the dish again.  I may have just come up with that but the logic is sound.

Now for the results.  I really enjoyed the edamame mash, more so than I thought I would.  The ginger and seasame oil are a must.  I had a pepper sesame oil so that made the flavor even better in my book.  The texture was great and the herbs rounded out the presentation.

The salmon.  Hmm, I may have spent a pretty penny on the wild caught salmon.  (I can taste the difference from wild to farm raised and I distinctly hate the farm-rasied taste.)  While the preparation of the salmon was similar to that of breading chicken with the substitution of chopped walnuts for breadcrumbs, I felt the salmon was a little bland and cooked more than I usually like.  Was I too stingy on the salt?  Should I have added more dried basil?  I am not sure.  For one thing, I like my salmon to be almost raw in the center.  With the amount of time the recipe calls for the salmon is cooked through, not too dry, but drier than my taste preference.  I made a note of this in my cookbook for next time.

Next time? Yes, I would make this again.  A little tweaking here and there, less edamame beans, less cooking time, more flavors to the "breading" process.

Give the recipe a try and let me know what you think.



WALNUT-CRUSTED WILD SALMON WITH EDAMAME MASH // Serves 4
recipe from The Sprouted Kitchen

Atlantic Salmon is far more likely to be farmed than Pacific salmon. You want to choose a wild variety, more often found at a fish market or Whole Foods than your local grocery store. There are a number of varieties, all quite rich, so you only need a small portion. If Salmon isn't your thing, you actually could crust any fish, but vary the cooking time for thinner or less fatty varieties. Also, I suggest reading through the entire recipe before you start. It's pretty easy if you get the jist of the entire process first.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 Cups Edamame Beans (organic very important with soy. I used frozen, shelled beans)
2 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp. Toasted Sesame Oil (I used pepper Sesame Oil)
3 Tbsp. Fresh Chives, Chopped (or more)
3 Tbsp. Fresh Mint, Chopped (or more)
1 Tbsp. Fresh Ginger

Four 4 oz. Wild Pacific Salmon Filets
1 Cup Walnuts, Very Finely Chopped
1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (or any gluten free option will work too)
1 Egg White
1 Tbsp. Water
1 Tsp. Dried Basil
1 Tbsp. Oil (anything neutral tasting)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400'

1. Steam or boil edamame beans for about 8 minutes (longer if you're using fresh). Transfer drained beans to a blender or food processor. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, rice vinegar, lemon juice and sesame oil. Pulse to puree the beans.Pulse until chunky, you want a smooth but slightly chunky consistency, add broth or water if you need to loosen it. Tranfer to a mixing bowl, add the fresh mint and chives and stir. Salt and pepper to taste, add ground ginger or red pepper if you want a kick.

2. Put the egg white and water in a bowl and give it a whisk. Use three seperate shallow plates, put the flour on one, the egg whites mixture in the second, and the crushed walnuts, pinch of salt and herbs in the last bowl.

3. Heat pan over medium heat with 1 Tbsp. of a neutral oil. With one salmon filet at a time and working with ONE side, dip on the flour, then the egg, then the walnuts (which should be pulverized enough to adhere). Add nut side down gently into the pan and sear for about 3 minutes, flip and sear the other side. Tranfer fish onto a baking dish large enough to hold all four filets, walnut side up. Repeat the searing with all four filets, then pop them in the oven to cook through to desired doneness, about 5-8 minutes depending on thickness. I like to keep it just barely rare on the inside.

4. Warm the edamame mash. On each place, put a generous dollop of mash and the warm salmon on top. Garnish with some fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment